Monday, September 13, 2010

The Physics of Breakdancing

By
Earnest L. Hudson, Jr.
MS, CSCS, CES, PES

On the Anatomatrix Fitness Facebook page, I recently placed a post stating that I was going outside to do some breakdancing for cardio. Someone responded by asking if I were serious about being able to breakdance, and if so, why was I so adamant about it. I’ve gotten that question for many years, and I smile whenever I see (in print) or hear it. Why am I so adamant about breakin’? Because through my knowledge of functional anatomy, I’ve been privy to understand the complexities of the movement patterns involved within the dance. Through that understanding, I’ve been able to see and appreciate the beauty within the movements, and can now define and articulate it as a legitimate art form. I can speak to the elements of the art form, the complexities of their interactions, and the subtleties of its essence. When I dance at this stage of my life, it is not for the glory of “Battling” another dancer for street credibility; I dance for the opportunity to experience the creativity of the moment, to be a vessel of expression for the creative force of the Universe. And as esoteric as that sounds, to an artist, it is a tangible reality that cannot be obtained in any other manner.



The physics of the art form allow me to appreciate the centrifugal and centripetal forces at play within the circular movement patterns. Knowledge of such forces allows me to shift directions at will as I now understand, appreciate, and can manipulate the system of levers and fulcrums at play. An elbow spin to the left can be converted to a right-handed palm spin ending in the opposite direction, precisely because the axis of rotation shifted as the fulcrum shifted. A kip-up to my feet can now easily convert into a one-handed handstand spin (called a “1990”) as I can now maximize the stretch-shortening cycle of the kip-up to exploit the plyometric landing that stores the subsequent energy to be used for the “1990.” All these things happen consciously and unconsciously, simultaneously and independently, in a delicate balance of grace, style, and power.

Due to my personal experience with breakin’, it is my belief that ANYONE who truly appreciates the beauty of movement of the human form should passionately study a form of movement that they practice as their personal “art.” For me, that art has largely been breakin’, at other times, it has been my martial arts- my second love of movement. Whether you play a sport, walk, snowboard, or do jumping jacks, I encourage you to discover the physics of the physical thing that you love doing. In the moment that we embrace that concept, we will develop a greater appreciation and love for the thing which we love to teach, and do- MOVE.

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts there!
    As always--the right tool for the job!!
    Breakin' football,rehab,whatever!
    My art?--i guess fencing..the more we understand,the better we can truly be..
    Jason k

    ReplyDelete